Library and Information Services, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

Friday 27 May 2011

Wisdom about Writing (and life in general!)

"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."
This quote is recalled by Gina Hiatt of the Academic Writing Club. She goes on to offer more 'Writing tips from the pros':-
  • "I don't worry about inspiration. I am unable to detect the difference between what came easily and when I had to sit down and say, 'Well, now it's writing time and now I'll write.' There's no difference on paper between the two."  - Frank Herbert, science fiction writer.

  • "I'm not a very good writer, but I'm an excellent rewriter." - James A. Michener [...an author or editor of 23 books...]

  • "If you want to write, you can. Fear stops most people from writing, not lack of talent, whatever that is. Who am I? What right have I to speak? Who would listen to me if I do? You're a human being with a unique story to tell, and you have every right. Yours enlarges the circle." - Richard Rhodes, *How to Write: Advice and Reflections (Harper, 1995, p.1).



    Check out the Writing Club at: http://www.academicwritingclub.com/
    'Whittaker' can personally recommend this community, if you have a lengthy writing project ahead of you.

    No comments: