RMA Research Students’ Conference :
Call for Papers and Works
5–7 January 2012
University of Hull (UK)
- Advisory workshops in publishing, postgraduate training, RMA activities and funding.
- Roundtable discussion about directions in music research
- Sign up for individual CV sessions with established scholars.
Proposals are invited:-
- Individual papers / presentations with a live performance element (up to 20', then 10' discussion);
- Research statements for new postgraduate students to provide an outline of their research topic and preliminary endeavour (up to 10' then 5' of discussion);
- Compositions (acoustic or electronic) for:- voice (high soprano), piano and/or clarinet (doubling bass clarinet); voice (high soprano) plus live electronics; fixed media (an 8-channel sound diffusion system and range of microphones will be available along with a computer running Pro Tools, Reaper, Ableton Live and Max/MSP).
- For vocal works, composers may respond to lines of poetry or full poems by Philip Larkin in honour of the poet’s connection with Hull (up to 10', then 20' discussion).
All abstracts for papers should describe the topic of the presentation and include: background, research questions, aims, summary of content and significance. For papers incorporating live performance, proposers expected to provide instrumentalists and repertoire.
Composition scores will be accepted in all formats (e.g. graphic, text-based) [note: please ensure that text permissions are obtained if appropriate].
In all cases, supply cover sheet with name, postal and email address, institutional affiliation of proposer; submission type (i.e. individual paper, research statement, composition); AV requirements; special requests for space/equipment.
Please email abstracts and any other queries to the Conference Director, Dr Elaine King (E.C.King@hull.ac.uk).
The conference programme will be released by the beginning of November 2011 and registration forms will be made available at the same time.
Dr Elaine King (RMA RSC 2012 Conference Director)
Senior Lecturer in Music, Department of Drama and Music
University of Hull
HULL HU6 7RX
Tel: +44 1482 465627