So, how do you find out what's allowed?
- The IAML(UK and Ireland) website has a full page devoted to copyright, with lots of useful links, particularly relating to music. (The International Association of Music Libraries is our professional association; a working group is currently drawing up a new helpful advice document, but you can certainly trust the links that are already on this website.)
- Another UK library organisation, CILIP (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals) has its own page about copyright in general.
- Try the UK Copyright Service website.
- Conservatoires and Universities often have their own web-pages on copyright legislation, sometimes on a Virtual Learning Network that only their own staff and students can access. (We have such a page on the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland's VLN.) We also have someone on the staff with particular responsibilities for providing copyright advice. This is quite common.
- The British Academy for the Human and Social Sciences has a very extensive copyright advice page, though you might be put off by its length!