Library and Information Services, Royal Conservatoire of Scotland

Friday 24 May 2013

Readers, do you know what CILIP stands for?

Dear Reader,

I'm your Music and Academic Services Librarian - and I'm a chartered librarian.  That means I'm a member of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals.  

So, apart from my music qualifications, I also have a postgraduate librarianship diploma, and the postnominals denoting my membership of CILIP.  Most chartered librarians use the initials, MCLIP - Member of the Chartered [Institute] of Library and Information Professionals.  
FCLIP, proudly elected

After doing my PhD, I decided to go for bust and apply to be elected a Fellow of CILIP - so now I'm FCLIP.

Why am I telling you all this?  Well, before CILIP was CILIP, it was the Library Association.  It sounded a bit old-fashioned, but people knew who we were and what we did.  CILIP is now having a consultation to see how they could improve our professional association's name again.  Do I want to be an Information Pro?  Not really.  Or a member of the Information People?  Give me strength!  The first sounds like Pro Plus in the stacks, and the second more like KwikFit or the worshippers of a book-loving deity than a professional organisation.  

I mean, there's the Law Society.  The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.  The General Teaching Council for Scotland.  And the General Medical Council. They all have a certain 'gravitas', as befits a profession in which you've worked hard to gain recognition.

 I completed CILIP's survey earlier today.  I couldn't come up with a suggestion for a new name, off the top of my head, with a cursor flashing in front of me.  

But how about The Association of Chartered Information Professionals?  Or, The Information Society? 

Because I really don't want to be a Fellow of the Information People, or a Fellow Information Pro, thank you very much!  Watch this space ...

No comments: